The Cadogan Arms a Gastro-Pub Review

The Cadogan Arms is a gastro pub situated on the Kings' road's black hole, not quite near enough Sloane square to be filled with fashionistas.

Though a gastro-pub of some pedigree (own by the Martin brothers who run another 5 highly acclaimed such pubs through London the Gun in Docklands, E14, the White Swan Pub and Dining Room on Fetter Lane, EC4, and the Well in Clerkenwell, EC1. The Cadogan Arms still remains a local boozer with good Ale.

Having 5 bloggers descending on you to review and unpick your menu is bound to be rather nerve racking but if it was the case, it certainly did no show: the General Manageress was relaxed & discreet, the staff watching your every need but not overly so, possibly albeit rather puzzled at the paparazzi effect every time drinks or food was brought to our table.

I declared straight away that I was not, I repeat not going to drink, that was before the first cocktails arrived. They looked so refreshing that I succumbed to a Caipirinha and was not disappointed. Cocktails, in my opinion, scored 8 out of 10, if only for the double espresso Martini which changes my views on double espressos forever.
But we were here to eat. That's what gastro-pubs are all about. The first time, I went to a gastropub many moons ago, I thought it was all gloss/no content or as they would say at my local: "Them gastros, all fur, no knickers" that is certainly not the case for the Cadogan Arms.

The menu has a wide range of options and apart from the occasional absentee (lamb) and the case of undercooked scallops and steak which both happen to land into Michelle's of The Greedy Gourmet plate, the rest was very satisfying.

My starter a wild rabbit, duck heart and pistachio terrine with a pinch of flaky salt, was a tasty assortment of complementary meats. As across the table, crayfish and avocado salad were abundant, Steak Tartare, raw quail's egg not often seen on menus was being highly praised by Johanna of The Passionate Cook, the oysters were avidly being talked about by Sarah of Maison Cupcake.

By now, the restaurant area had started to fill up. There is space for about 50 diners and on that Saturday night despite an empty King's road, the place was very busy, almost to full capacity which is a sign. Flash, flash, flash here comes the main course.
I plumped for the 35 days aged Aberdeen Angus rib-eye steak, BĂ©arnaise sauce, hand cut chips and bone marrow jus. The BĂ©arnaise sauce was out of this world, smooth to its right consistency and the steak was really tasty.











You would have thought that by now we were about to implode, but certainly not Jeanne of Cook Sister! and I shared the dessert which suited me fine as I like my cheese before the pudding and by sharing nobody noticed my widely French habit. British cheeses consisted of
  • Wookey Hole Cheddar
  • Tunworth
  • The Isle of Avalon
  • Bosworth Ash
  • Barkham Blue
and last but not least our Roasted Pineapple with a touch of chilli with a caramel sauce and a creme fraiche sorbet and that was refreshing, not too sweet, the pineapple had roasted slowly for 2 hours and was melting in our mouths, the flower was edible and ate it was.



The portions were very generous, the menu was well thought out and overall, the food nicely executed, the price £38 (drinks not included). I will always associate Bearnaise with that meal and if you can come out of a restaurant with one long lasting memory, that means that the place must be doing something right.



6 comments:

thepassionatecook said...

i completely agree, i can still taste the bearnaise and i am very picky with my sauces... what a nice evening, let's repeat it very soon!

Jeanne @ CookSister! said...

Great post! I was careful not to read anybody else's review before I wrote mine, and I am pleased to see that I was not the only one who thought that the Bearnaise was TO DIE FOR :) A lovely evening - to be repeated!

Sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

I'd definitely love to meet up and do this again, it was such fun. It was very helpful to have an authentic French verdict on a few things like those madeleines!

Melanie Heavenly said...

Thanks for the reviews everyone. Great to read them all. I first started going to the King's Rd years ago when I lived in Kilburn [before it became a des res suburb] and used to take the No. 28 bus to the top of the Kings Rd. It was like being on another planet and yet a mere bus ride away. I moved out of London 4 years ago and now on the odd occasion still go for a jaunt down the Kings Rd instead of hellish Oxford St. Next time I'm there I'll definitely give this pub a visit. I love the food market on a Saturday - which is near the Sloan Sq. end of the road - lots of samples to be had and the Brazilian food stall is amazing - a riot of colour - have you been there?

Solange Berchemin of Pebble Soup said...

Thanks all, there is such a buzz on analytics coming from this post.
it is great
till next time.......

Solange Berchemin of Pebble Soup said...

Hi Melanie, I must say I don't know that market. Friends of mine use to live about the tube station (more or less) she always raved about it.

So many things to do, places to go to, food to sample.

& you are right Oxford street is over-rated, there always been better places to shop.

si

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails